Thursday, October 26, 2017

inspiration #1

I was referred a boy for aggressive behaviour in the middle of the night. same old same old, I thought.You know the usual shit,either the drunkard or the rotten good-for-nothing drug addict who is too stupid doesnt know how to control their drug dosage.

I was wrong. His urine was clean. There was no alcohol reek. He wasn't aggressive by the time I reviewed him, but he needed admission for sure. I couldn't get anything from him. He said he murdered someone and he wants to kill more. He rambled about location of where he hid the bodies. I asked the police, but the police said he's just talking nonsense, so I took it as his delusion. And to the ward he went.

The next morning,my MA and I traced his family for further history. He lived with his schizophrenic mother who was not in the sound mind, and he had 2 sisters, 1 adopted sister who stayed 7 hours drive away, and 1 biological sister who was married and rarely home. and he wasn't from the richest of the family.

this entry is about the adopted sister.

So I called her. She was in the middle of work, and guess what, she worked as a houseman.yup, the busy headless chicken type. she sounded tired and worried, but she was so polite and very helpful. She sounded bright too.she apologized for picking the call a bit late (which wasn't, in comparison to most). She made an arrangement to come back to settle for the discharge of her adopted brother. You see, she was a houseman who lives far away and she had no car. off day was precious, so this was a huge deal.

Oh, she graduated from UKM too, bright girl, right?

I dug a bit about her, it was relevant part as to establish how strong her history is. she was adopted for as long as she could remember. She remembered her adopted father was a drug addict, convicted few times and abusive, always hitting her adopted mother. the abusive man later disappeared from the family until now. when she was in primary school, her adopted mother started talking nonsense and behaving abnormally, and was diagnosed schizophrenia. She monitored her medications, while in primary school. I'm not sure how they managed financially tho.

She was a bright student and excelled academically, so she escaped from that unhealthy environment by studying in boarding school, and continued excelling until graduating from the prestigious UKM med school. All her holidays were spent at that home. She wasn't treated nicely there, her adopted brother (my patient) was rude and harsh to her, hit her always. The adopted mother was always on the boy's side. But she had nowhere else to turn to. She even provides for the family, supported them financially.

She is my inspiration. She's mature and very sensible for her age, in the midst of chaotic housemanship era, she still can carry herself well. truly remarkable.

Girl, you might not know me, but our conversation was truly inspiring to me. I'm rooting for you, I pray so that you will become a good doctor, and i hope your future (or probably current, dah kawen rasanya haritu tunang dah) husband can take care of you the way you deserve to be taken care of. I hope you will find happiness, and may Allah bless you.

No comments: